From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Monday, December 14, 2009

A Writer's Social Life

Pretty non-existent, right? Wrong! I am naturally an introverted home-body as most writers are, but having some sort of social life is beneficial for your mental and emotional well-being, and may even be helpful creatively. Being social doesn't necessarily mean being the life of every party, or even going to every party. But I still think its healthy to get a little outside your comfort zone and meet a few new people.

Don't be afraid to talk about the things your interested in, even if you think it's nerdy. Recently I met a really nice girl when we discovered we both are really into Victorian romance novels and movies, like Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. (Ok, Austen isn't within the Victorian periods time frame, but her style is arguably 'Victorian'...but thats another post.) If you're a Trekkie, use it to meet people who share your interests, whether dorky or not.

Be willing to just talk to people. Join conversations. My biggest fear is usually that it will be awkward and whoever I'm talking to will think I'm weird, but you know what, I am weird, and so what. Just be yourself, and if someone has an issue with that then they're not worth worrying about anyway.

Writers can use social experiences as inspiration for characters, plot, dialogue, marketing, and lots of other things. You never know what opportunities you're missing out on when you shrink from social situations. Even getting some friends and going to a play or a movie will be both fun and creatively inspiring.

Take advantage of all the Christmas parties going on about now. This is a good time to start putting yourself out there, because people are more charitable and understanding during the holidays. So just do it and have fun!

Sarah Allen

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Sarah!
    I'm sure a lot of people can relate. I go through phases, personally, in which I tend toward solitude. But I agree, it is important to get out there in the world and live--this is, after all, where some of the best material comes from, especially when it comes to fiction.
    If you're afraid to be perceived as awkward, I say, be awkward and proud! What does 'awkward' really mean, after all, other than unique, unable to conform. I admire originality far more than poise (which is usually just a well-rehearsed act, anyway).
    In closing, you are awesome. Remember that. And if anyone hurts you, or tells you otherwise, you can always write about them :) Jen

    (sorry,,,, didn't mean to get all preachy on you)

    Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks so much! I really appreciate your kind encouragement. Writers too often fulfill the shy, quirky stereotype thats put on them, and we all need to be okay with our quirkiness, because its what makes the us interesting! Again, thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...